DEI Practice Area: Get Involved
Join the conversation
#diversity-equity-inclusion This Slack channel is for folks who want to share resources or start conversations about DEI topics. We also encourage everyone to introduce DEI-related conversations where they are likely to reach the widest and most relevant audience. For example, do you have an interesting article about diversity in recruiting for user research? Consider posting #ux, or even #general.
Lead or attend DEI Brownbags These monthly 30-45 minute topic-oriented calls are for folks who are interested in talking about DEI issues together. Have something you'd like to talk about? Then you're the right person to lead the brownbag! Calls start with a brief introduction (or optional presentation) by the topic leader followed by open discussion.
Contribute to a DEI initiative
Anyone at CivicActions who is interested can join work on a DEI initiative. To get started, ask someone in the #dei-ops channel to add you to the monthly DEI-ops call. Someone can help you find an initiative that fits your interests and capacity. See our current initiatives
Not everyone is at the same level of familiarity or comfort with DEI topics, and that's okay. Team members who have questions or concerns about DEI topics, but aren't comfortable bringing them to a large group conversation or public channel can reach out to a DEI point-person for support. DEI point-people help our team talk through sensitive issues in team dynamics, answer questions, or just be there to listen. Folks can reach out to any of the DEI point-people listed in the pinned post in #diversity-equity-inclusion.
DEI Point Person Manifesto: Learn more about the principles and goals that designated DEI point people promise to uphold as team members providing individual support for sensitive topics.
Leadership and facilitation
The DEI Practice Area is led by a facilitator who serves on a voluntary basis. Anyone with interest and capacity can help facilitate DEI work.
DEI facilitator responsibilities
Strategy and Leadership:
- Owning/maintaining the practice area strategic plan, including mission, vision, and goals
- Helping identify and prioritize current initiatives
- Documenting practice area work and content (Handbook, DEI practice area folder, DEI resource inventory, DEI Strategic Plan)
- Socializing/communicating DEI work to the rest of the company
- Helping practice area members maintain momentum on initiatives
- Resourcing / soliciting hours for DEI initiatives
- Establishing call agenda
- Prioritizing initiatives (Trello board)
- Distributing call notes
- Coworking with the facilitator on any of the above
- Running meetings when the facilitator can't be present, or co-running meetings when needed
- Serving as a point person for dei-ops inquiries from the rest of the team