CWDS Team: Request Time Off Procedure
Should you need time off (sick, personal, vacation), there is a procedure to follow that helps ensure your request is efficient & transparent to your team. With all requests, the more advanced notice you can provide the better.
CivicActions closes its offices for observation per this company holiday schedule for United States employees. You do not need to request time off for holidays in which the office is closed.
The State of California closes its offices for observation per this State holiday schedule. You do not need to request timeoff for holidays that appear on both the State list and the CivicActions list. If the CWDS office is closed then you are not obligated to work. You can choose to work remote on knowledge sharing or support work with other CivicActions folks but it is not required.
Personal & Vacation Time Off
- Before you request off time, think about a plan for project coverage, which also includes a plan for making up as many project hours as possible per the contract.
- Review the CWDS DevOps On-Call Schedule with your Scrum Master to ensure it gets updated to reflect that you are not on call during your time off.
- Speak with your project's Service Manager (Khosrow) and Delivery Manager (Tejas) as soon as you know you need time off. Request the dates verbally, and explain your plan for getting project coverage. It is not acceptable to request time off when you are the on-call support for the team.
- Speak with other fellow team members to ensure they agree to cover your workload while you are out. Make sure you have clearly handed off your tasks to other team members.
- Send an email to the entire DevOps team (all team members, service manager, scrum master) that lists the dates you will be out and explains your plan for getting your work covered and ensuring the project will not be at risk in your absence.
- Add your out of office dates to the DevOps calendar on SharePoint.
- Lastly, follow CivicActions' policy for requesting off time, and explain your plans and hours. This is a required step to ensure transparency between all teams:
- Email [email protected] requesting the time and explain your plan for coverage as discussed with your Service Manager, Scrum Master, & project team.
- When the time off is approved, your CivicActions manager will simply "reply-all" to your original email and add it to CivicActions Forecast tool.
- Then the CivicActions admin will put it on the master CivicActions calendar.
- Follow the procedure for logging time off in Harvest with CivicActions.
Sick Time Off
- As soon as you know you will not make it to work, send an email to the entire DevOps team (all team members, service manager, scrum master) that explains you are ill and how long you think you will need time off to recover.
- Include in your email the tasks you had planned for that day and what the team should do with them to ensure project success.
- When possible, include a plan for making up as many project hours as possible per the contract.
- Then also email [email protected] explaining your plans and hours you will be out. This is a required step to ensure transparency between all teams.
- Lastly, follow the procedure for logging sick time off in Harvest with CivicActions.