The following holidays are observed by CivicActions and the office is considered closed:
- New Year's Day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . January 1st
- Martin Luther King's Birthday . . . . . Third Monday in January
- Memorial Day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Last Monday in May
- Independence Day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . July 4th
- Labor Day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . First Monday in September
- Veterans Day . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . November 11th
- Thanksgiving . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fourth Thursday in November and the following Friday
- Christmas . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . December 25th
Employees are not encouraged to work on holidays; however, if you feel it's necessary for your own peace of mind, hourly employees will be compensated at their normal hourly rate. Full-time employees who voluntarily work on designated holidays will not receive additional compensation. You do NOT need to log entries when the office is closed for a Holiday.
Time off applies to exempt employees. We do not accrue sick days, vacation days or any other form of time off. Instead, employees are encouraged to take time off as needed to feel balanced, productive and healthy.
You do not need to justify time off, but (except for unexpected events or emergencies), it does need to be arranged in advance so the work will be covered. There is a procedure for this:
- If you are working on an active project, discuss the impact of your absence with your project manager (this is especially important if there is flexibility in your dates) to get coverage and understand project impact.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting the time and explain your plan for coverage as discussed with your PM & team.
- When the time off is approved, your manager will simply "reply-all" to your original email and add it to Harvest's Forecast tool.
- Then the admin will put it on the Master Out of Office Calendar.
- Lastly, follow the procedure for logging time off.
If you are unexpectedly unable to work for any reason (e.g., illness, emergency, power outage), email email@example.com. It is not sufficient to notify only a member of your team or post something in Slack. If you do not have internet access, you can call our main number, 510-408-7510 but this is not an efficient way to get the word out. You should consider having your manager's phone number handy. Lastly, follow the procedure for logging sick time off in Harvest with CivicActions.
Time off will be recorded simply to easily see any patterns that might otherwise be overlooked, including non-use. Unless it will cause an extreme hardship on the company and your team, no request for Time off under two weeks will be turned down.
Personal Leave of Absence
Employees of CivicActions, including part-time employees, who have worked for at least one (1) year may request a personal leave of absence. A leave of absence is for extended periods, typically 4 weeks or more, where an employee is fully or part-time away from work, for example taking courses/training, handling extended personal matters, completing a personal project, or world travel. Leaves will be discussed on a case by case basis and may be paid, partially paid or unpaid.
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Welcoming a new baby is an amazing time for a family and we want to support employees during this time to take the time to bond with their new child (by birth or adoption) and acclimate to the new life ahead. Our policy is that expectant mothers can take twelve weeks of maternity leave fully paid after 9 months of employment and expectant fathers can take four weeks of paternity leave fully paid after 9 months of employment. If an employee has been at the company for less than 9 months or if for any reason the expectant mother or father needs additional leave, we will review requests on a case-by-case basis.
All full-time regular employees and part-time hourly employees who work at least 30 hours a week are entitled to benefits under CivicActions' medical, dental, vision! life insurance plans. CivicActions pays 100% of the premiums, unless you opt for benefit that is more expensive than the company-covered plans. Then you pay the difference. See your TriNet PassPort account for managing these benefits.
New full-time employees joining CivicActions will be eligible for coverage on the first of the month following thirty (30) days from the date of employment. If, as a new employee, you do not want the coverage, you will need to tell admin in case it puts us out of compliance with the plan providers or the ACA.
Professional Development Stipend
Employees are encouraged to take education and training courses related to their profession. When appropriate, and with prior approval, CivicActions will pay for all or a portion of such courses.